Clarendon Board of Zoning Adjustment
& Planning Commission Joint Meeting
Clarendon Town Hall
Present: Brownson Spencer, John McKenna, Don Pratt, Bryan Johnson, Heidi Eccleston, John Colvin, Kevin Dougherty (Zoning Administrator).
Public: Marjorie Southard, Tony & Connie Flanders, Jacob Reed (VELCO), Jacob Watrous (VELCO), Allyson Brown (VELCO), Barbara Melna (neighbor), Claire Kalakowski (neighbor, by phone), Albert Trombley (neighbor).
Call to Order: Bron called the meeting to order at 6:33pm.
- Flanders variance request: Bron swore in Tony Flanders. Tony Flanders requests a variance to build a deck that does not conform to town setback requirements. Kevin confirmed current conditions do not comply. BZA members asked questions of the resident. Bron closed the hearing at 6:50pm
- VELCO request for determination that Laydown Yard is permitted in the Residential Commercial District: Bron swore in Jacob Reed, Jacob Watrous, Allyson Brown and Barbara Melna (neighbor). Jacob detailed VELCO’s intent to use their recently purchased property on Route 7B as a contractor’s storage yard and requests a determination the use is permitted under zoning regulations. Barbara Melna testified that she has concerns about noise from truck traffic. Previous Act 250 permit had many more truck trips and passenger vehicles than what VELCO is proposing as a maximum that is not likely to be reached often.
- VELCO request for approval for the laydown yard: See above.
- VELCO request that the present permitted use should not be conditional use: The only previous permitted use VELCO could find was from Farmer Mold as manufacturing in a residential-commercial zone. The most recent uses appear to be permitted uses.
- Site Plan Review for VELCO: No changes to traffic circulation, no lighting proposed, possibly a small sign on the gate to be installed at the entrance to the driveway. Barbara Melna & Albert Trombley asked questions about use of the site.
Executive Session: Heidi motioned to go into executive session for deliberations regarding the BZA hearings. Bryan seconded. Passed unanimously.
- Bryan motioned to approve a waiver, Heidi seconded. Passed unanimously.
- Heidi motioned to grant the VELCO request based on historical uses, Bryan seconded. Passed unanimously.
Site Plan: Heidi motioned to approve the site plan as presented, Bryan seconded. Passed unanimously.
Public Comment: None.
- Approve agenda
- Public Comment
- Approve minutes from meeting 4-4-2022 & 5-2-2022
- Discuss proposed new permit application & decision memorandum
- Discuss updates/changes to zoning regulations
- Review Mail
- Member Updates
- Public Comment
- Agenda Building
- Executive Session (if needed)
Bryan made a motion to adjourn the meeting. Meeting adjourned at 7:34 p.m.
The next regularly scheduled meeting will be Monday, June 6, 2022 to start at 6:30pm in the Clarendon Town Hall.
John McKenna, Secretary
TOWN OF CLARENDON
NOTICE OF PUBLIC HEARNGS
The Clarendon Planning Commission and Board of Zoning Adjustment will meet jointly on Monday May 2, 2022 at 6:30 pm in the Clarendon Town Offices for the purpose of conducting the following hearings related to requests for zoning permits pursuant to 24 V.S.A. §4464(a)(2) and Article VI of the Town of the Clarendon Zoning Regulations.
Board of Zoning Adjustment (BZA): 6:40 p.m.-approximate
- Request by Mark and Connie Flanders for variance or waiver to allow addition of a deck with setback from road less than called for in Clarendon Zoning Regulations (CZR) to residence at 873Airport Road;
- Request by VELCO for determination that proposed Laydown Yard is a Contractor’s Storage Yard and that, per CZR Section 305, it is a permitted use in the Residential-Commercial District;
- At its option VELCO may present evidence that the Laydown Yard as proposed should be approved per CZR Section 702;
- At its option VELCO may present evidence that the use presently permitted should not have been designated a Conditional Use.
Site Plan Review VELCO Laydown Yard, Rte. 7B (former Pepsi Cola building)
The hearings will follow in the above order with no break between them. At the conclusion of the hearings the Commission will, depending on the hour, either enter into deliberative session or commence its regular meeting at which the only action item is expected to be review of Clarendon Zoning Regulations.
Only those who attend and participate at a hearing may appeal the resulting decision to the Environmental Court. 24 V.S.A. §4471(a)
Further details of the above projects will be available at the office of the Clarendon Town Clerk during normal business hours.
Clarendon Planning Commission and Clarendon Board of Zoning Adjustment
by: RB Spencer, Chair PC&BZA